Colfax stops Tigers in double overtime

Jack Washburn (22) is fouled as he puts up a shot during the Regional final game Saturday night.

WEBSTER—It took until the second overtime before the Colfax Vikings managed a narrow 75-72 win over the Webster Tigers in the Regional Final at Webster Saturday night.

“Our men played their hearts out,” said Coach Rob Scherrer. “They left it all on the court and as a coach, that is all you can ask for. We are tremendously disappointed, but sometimes things just don’t work out like you would want them too. Colfax played a great game, they shot the ball exceptionally well, and took advantage of some mismatches.

“I think the turning point in the game was when Colfax switched over to a 1-2-2 zone. We didn’t adjust very well and it caused us problems.”

With a little over 13 minutes left in the first half, the Tigers were up 9-7. Two of those points came on a perfectly timed lob from Hunter Rosenbaum to Jack Washburn for a slam dunk which got the crowd off their seats.

Colfax big man George Scharlau had a hot hand in the first half, scoring 21. He had 16 points from that mark until 1:33 remained in the half.

At that time, Colfax was up 29-24 and extended the lead to 32-25 at the halfway mark of the game.

The Vikings extended their lead to 11 at the beginning of the second half, scoring 11 to the Tigers’ seven. Washburn had five and Rosenbaum two for Webster in that span.

It was then that Webster caught fire. Washburn got four points with Trevor Gustafson and Coleton Peterson each getting two to make it 45-41, Colfax.

Both teams battled back and forth and when Peterson got a layup, the Tigers led 56-55 with 6:07 remaining.

It was knotted at 62 with 1:52 left.

After a Colfax timeout, the Vikings worked the clock down to 11 seconds and called another timeout to plan the final shot. The first shot by Colfax missed and a Viking rebound and shot also failed, sending the game into overtime.

Colfax got two free throws and Washburn a three pointer. The Vikings were then one for two from the line and Washburn hit another three.

The Vikings got a three point shot to tie the game at 68 with 34 seconds left.

Webster called time, then inbounded and worked the clock down to :09.3 and called time again to plan. After the pass in, Colfax fouled as they had a foul to give. With 0:00.3, seconds remaining, Webster threw in and got off an awkward shot which did not go in. This forced a second overtime.

Colfax got two pairs of free throws and a field goal with Webster getting a layup by Carsen Stenberg to make it 74-70, Colfax. Washburn was two-for-two from the line and Colfax one-for-two, to make it 75-72 with 12 seconds left.

After a missed shot by the Tigers, Colfax rebounded and was fouled.

The shooter missed both charity tosses, giving the Tigers another opportunity to tie.

Another foul by Colfax was one they had to give and gave Webster 3 seconds to inbounds and shoot. The shot missed, Colfax rebounded, and the horn sounded.

“Colfax’s big man is a great shooter. In the first half, we gave him too many open looks. We made some adjustments at halftime and I thought we did a nice job taking away those looks in the second half.

“Jack Washburn played an exceptional game tonight,” commented Coach Scherrer. “He played like a ‘player of the year’ type of kid. He willed us back into the game, his tenacity and his will to win are second to none. But sometimes, like tonight, that isn’t even enough.

“I think we were a little beat up after Friday’s game. No excuses, in tournament play you have to play on back to back nights.

“It has been a great year, a year that will not easily be forgotten in the future. I couldn’t be prouder of my guys and what they have accomplished throughout these past two seasons.”