NOTICE OF INTENT
WISCONSIN INDIANHEAD TECHNICAL COLLEGE (WITC)
DISTRICT BOARD MEMBERS
Notice is hereby given that applications are being accepted for three (3) positions on the Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (WITC) District Board from individuals residing in the following regions of the WITC District:
• Region 1 (Ashland, Bayfield, and Douglas Counties, and portions of Iron County—excludes Iron County towns of Mercer and Sherman)
• Region 2 (Barron, Rusk, and Sawyer Counties)
• Region 3 (Burnett, Polk, and Washburn Counties)
• Region 4 (portions of St. Croix County—excludes portions of the city of River Falls and the village of Spring Valley)
• In accordance with the WITC Plan of Representation, Board members must live in the district and are selected for member positions (regions) based on the county in which they live, not the county in which they own a business.
• No two (2) members of the WITC District Board may be officials of the same governmental unit, nor may any district board member be a member of the school board which employs the School District Administrator member.
• No region will have less than one (1) member and no more than four (4) members on the District Board.
• Equal consideration is given to the general population distribution within the WITC District, as well as to the distribution of women and minorities within the district. According to the Wisconsin Technical College System, this has been interpreted to mean that members of each gender (male/female) must hold at least three (3) positions on the District Board. Therefore, the appointment committee is seeking at least one (1) qualified female applicant for the open Board positions to meet this requirement. If the district’s minority population exceeds 6.5%, at least one (1) minority must hold a position on the District Board. WITC’s minority population is 8.1%. There is currently one (1) minority representative serving on the WITC District Board.
Open WITC District Board Member Positions
Appointments will be made for the following positions in accordance with the Board Appointment Committee’s
Plan of Representation, which specifies categories of membership as well as geographic areas of representation within the district. Board members are not paid, except for expenses incurred in the performance of their duties.
The following three (3) Board positions below will commence on or about July 1, 2020, upon certification by the Wisconsin Technical College System Board, with 3-year terms ending on June 30, 2023.
1. Additional Member
2. Additional Member
3. Elected Official Member
Open Board Member Category Definitions
Please refer to the following WITC website address for additional information to help you determine if you qualify for the open Board member positions: https://www.witc.edu/about-witc/leadership/board-of-trustees/board-responsibilities.
• An Additional Member is defined as someone who resides in the district.
• An Elected Official Member is defined as someone who holds a non-partisan elected public office other than party committee chair.
o City Council
o Common Council
o County Board
o School Board
o State Legislature
o Town Board
o Town Clerk
o Village Board
A notarized affidavit (application), along with up to a one-page single-spaced statement describing reasons for seeking an appointment to the Board, must be received at the address below no later than 4 p.m., on Thursday, February 13, 2020. Applicants must attend the public hearing of the District Board Appointment Committee on Thursday, March 19, 2020, at 2 p.m., at the WITC–Administrative Office, 505 Pine Ridge Drive, Shell Lake, WI 54871, and provide at least two (2) letters of recommendation supporting the individual’s candidacy to the WITC District Board before being interviewed at the scheduled public meeting. No additional names will be accepted from the floor at the time of the Appointment Committee meeting.
Please mail notarized affidavits (applications) and statement to:
Mr. Roger Larson, Chairperson
District Board Appointment Committee
505 Pine Ridge Drive
Shell Lake, WI 54871
A Board Appointment affidavit (application) form and instructions may be obtained on the WITC website at https://www.witc.edu/about-witc/leadership/board-of-trustees/board-responsibilities, or by contacting:
Ms. Kimberly Olson
Board Appointment Committee Liaison
505 Pine Ridge Drive
Shell Lake, WI 54871
Telephone: (715) 468-2815, ext. 2279
A second legal notice announcing the public hearing and committee meeting and all applicant names will be published in early-March 2020.