A Webster man has pleaded guilty to two felony charges stemming from an incident in Sept. 2018. He was recently sentenced to probation.

In February, Cowan Bruss, 31, Webster pleaded guilty to aggravated assault of an elderly person, a class H felony, and vehicle operator flee/elude officer, a class I felony. His sentencing hearing was held last week.

According to online court records, Judge Melissia Mogen handed down a withheld sentence of two years of probation for aggravated battery of an elderly person and an imposed and stayed sentence of one year jail time and two years probation.

The remaining charges of disorderly conduct, criminal damage to property and resisting or obstructing an officer – all misdemeanor charges were dismissed but read in for sentencing purposes.

According to the criminal complaint, on Sept. 4, dispatch received a report of a “fight involving bats” at Affordable Auto on Highway 35.

Sheriff’s deputies arrived around 1:10 p.m. to speak with the 72-year-old male victim, who showed them three injuries from the altercation on his right hand, right temple and right knee.

He described Bruss to the deputy as “twitchy” and alleged he was “high on something.” The two talked about cars when Bruss asked the victim if one of the cars was for sale. He told Bruss it wasn’t, saying it belonged to his son.

Bruss yelled an expletive, followed by, “Everything is for sale!” He exited the store and came back with a billy club and began striking the victim until he hit the ground. A third man attempted to help the victim when the victim grabbed his own small bat and struck Bruss in the head.

As police were en route to the scene, Bruss fled. Another deputy initiated a pursuit of Bruss. They were traveling about 85 mph for approximately 3.3 miles. Bruss turned onto Cedar Street and then onto Trout Avenue. When he reached a dead end, he exited his car and ran into the woods.

While he was running south, dispatch requested the K-9 unit, but they were unavailable. Webster Police Chief Stephenie Wedin spotted the suspect and saw him crawl up underneath a boat that was upside down on a trailer.

One of the deputies flipped over the boat exposing Bruss. He actively began resisting and the deputy deployed his taser once. When Bruss continued to resist, the taser was deployed a second time. Bruss was then taken into custody and transported to Burnett Medical Center.